1 burdock root
1 small lotus root
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Wash vegetables.
- Slice carrot and burdock into matchsticks.
- Peel the lotus root, slice off the ends and slice into 1/2-inch thick, half rounds.
- Heat oil in sauté pan.
- Sauté vegetables together over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add just enough water to half cover the veggies and cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add tamari and rice vinegar and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, plate and add sesame seeds before serving.
Kinpira is a Japanese cooking style that means sautéing and then simmering.
- When purchasing burdock, look for one that is firm, not wiggly.
- If you can’t find fresh lotus root, use organic dried lotus root, which can be found in the Asian foods section at your local health food store.