6 cups water
1 tablespoon gee or olive oil
1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 tomatoes cut into wedges
4 tablespoons dry coconut flakes
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
- Bring water and dal to boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook 45 minutes.
- Skim foam off the top as you notice it forming.
- Heat olive oil or ghee in a frying pan.
- Add cumin seeds and grated ginger and cook 3 minutes and add to dal.
- Stir and continue cooking until beans are thoroughly cooked, about 10 more minutes.
- Remove dal from pot and add tomatoes, coconut flakes, syrup and salt.
- Mix well and serve.
Channa is a variety of chickpea that is small and split in half. Channa dal is a common dish in India, typically made as a thick soup and served with chapattis, which are flat breads, rice and other vegetable dishes. This recipe is one example of the many ways to make channa dal.
- Look for organic channa in the bulk section of your health food store, or in a specialty Indian market. If you can’t find it, substitute with yellow split peas.